|Your Pet Information||
Let us create a 3d Digital eBook for you! DigyCat.com
Top 5 Dog Health Problems
The most common dog problems:
Dog Owner's commonly ask me the same questions repeatedly. This article aims to help dog owners prevent and find information about the most common dog health problems. Understanding the basics of these problems will go a long ways to helping your canine friend live a long healthy life.
1. By far the most common question I get asked from dog owners is a desperate call about their dog's vomiting. Vomiting can have many causes, but the most common cause is eating garbage, or wolfing down food. In most cases the easiest cure is to withhold food from your dog for 24 hours, but continue to give water. Then after 24 hours, start by giving small meals again. This rest period will allow the stomach to heal. If vomiting continues after this you should see your veterinarian.
2. The next most common question I get asked are reproduction questions. These questions range from breeding their dog, questions about whelping, and about raising puppies. While it is beyond this article to cover everything, here are some basics to keep in mind. Dogs come into heat every 6-7 months which is the time to breed them. The gestation length ranges from 59-63 days. Breeds that can have trouble with whelping are the pug, bulldog, Chihuahuas, Boston terriers, and the Pekingese. Whelping, the act of giving birth, can take from 2 to 24 hours. With several hours in-between the time puppies are passed.
3. Third, are questions about skin problems. These questions range from masses and bumps, to scratches and rashes. Whenever you find a mass on your dog it is important that you show it to your veterinarian. Most masses are benign lipomas, which are fatty tumors. Another common tumor of female dogs are tumors of the mammary gland. You can greatly decrease the risk of your female dog getting a mammary gland tumor by spaying your dog. One of the most common skin tumors owners are likely to see are Mast cell tumors. Mast cell tumors can appear anywhere on the body, and can range from benign to very aggressive.
4. Fourth are questions about the musculoskeletal system. Two possible causes of limping in dogs are arthritis and torn anterior cruciate ligaments. Arthritis is common in older dogs. To treat arthritis try some joint supplements like chondroitin. For dogs with torn anterior cruciate ligaments, surgery is needed. The anterior cruciate ligament is a ligament in the knees of dogs. Signs of this injury is when the dog is running and all of a sudden the dog whimpers in pain and starts to limp on its rear leg.
5. The fifth most common question is about allergies. Many dogs suffer from allergies. The most common clinical signs are the dog chewing its paws, reddened skin, and scratching. For a definitive diagnosis allergy testing can be done by your veterinarian. Allergies are often treated by antihistamines and in severe cases steroids.
With a little knowledge pet owners can be more proactive in the health care of their pets. With greater knowledge you can help your veterinarian come up with the best treatment plans for your pet, and are able to give a more complete history on your pet which can lead to a quicker and more accurate diagnosis.
For the complete TOP TEN LIST of questions visit my website at http://www.free-online-veterinarian-advice.com/doghealth.html
Chris Suckow, DVM, lives and works in Los Angeles, CA
Pets - Google News
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
Pet Owners Are The Majority Population In The U.S.
According to recent statistics, an astounding 65% of all U.S.
How To Keep Your Cat Healthy - Your Guide to Cat Diseases and Conditions, and How to Cure Them
Even with the best care, cats can become ill. Sometimes this means a simple "kitty cold," at other times the disease might have a more lasting or even fatal result.
Help Your Dog Become a Good Canine Citizen
Is your dog a gentleman or lady? If so, you may be able to get an award to prove it from the American Kennel Club (AKC) through its Canine Good Citizen Program.This certification program is for all dogs,whether purebred or mutt.
Dogs - Mans Best Friend
Dogs have been known as man's best friend for decades. Owning a dog can be a positive, enjoyable experience for the entire family.
Canine Communication and Body Language
A couple of years ago a Japanese electronics company came up with a Gizmo which they claimed could convert dogs barks, yips and whines into human language, thereby allowing us to understand "Doggie" speak for the first time. I was on a radio program recently, discussing the merits and usefulness of a new dog collar that was also a mobile phone.
Things You Should Never Feed Your Dog
Sadly, there are several household items which we tend to take for granted that are potentially very hazardous to yourdog's health. It is especially important to be aware of this because as you know, dogs are very much scavengers and will often eat whatever they can sink their fangs into.
Is Your Dog In Pain Without You Realising?
A dog that is feeling pain can often be highly unpredictable. When you handle a dog in that you suspect to be in pain, you should always proceed with great care.
Animals Are Forever
Throughout the course of my life, I've encountered my own share of dogs. From early childhood days, I recall having several dogs that stayed temporarily with us until my dad's next military assignment.
Essential Oils and Our Pets
Before we talk about using the essential oils, we first should define what is an essential oil in the first place.An essential oil is a bioavailable nutritive liquid.
Good Dog Health and Happiness For Charlie
Our Charlie's dog health was a very important issue to us in our family. It all started when he was a puppy of course.
Is Pet Insurance Right For Your Pet?
Trying to decide if you should get insurance on your pet? There are of course pro's and con's to it. Years ago I decided to try it out.
Does Your Bichon Frise Eat His Own Poop?
Hi,I'm Janet CombsMy mother bred and raised Bichon Frises for 23 years. I have been a Bichon Frise breeder for 13 years.
Humming Birds Make Wonderful Pets
Humming birds are wonderful birds that are smart, playful, and easy to take care. Many new bird owners are surprised by the intelligence that many birds show.
Is Dog Obedience School for You?
Are you thinking about dog obedience school? Do you know what to expect out of it? Do you know what it costs or where to find a good school?If not, let me help take out some of the mystery of finding one to make sure you and your dog get the best experience you can.If you have searched the web in this topic, you probably found some sites that are basically search engines within search engines, no real information about dog obedience schools.
Dog doors - dog and owner reprieve
Buying dog doors onlineIf you need to buy a dog door then have some fun doing it online. Not only will you find discount prices but you'll have a huge selection of colors, designs, shapes, sizes and multiple features you haven't even thought about.
How To Use Horse Training Thinking To Solve Dang Near Any Problem With A Horse
Horse training can be a relatively mysterious subject to people who have not studied it. Even more mysterious is a behavioral problem a horse has that causes his owner stress and frustration.
Doggie Day Care is an Awesome Alternative
Doggie day care is becoming more and more prevalent in our society. This is mainly due to the fact that there are so many dogs all around the world and people are looking for a good alternative to the routine trip to the kennel.
Potty Training Your Puppy
A new puppy is a joyous addition to any home. Who can resist that cute little bundle of lovable furry fun? Wouldn't it be great if puppies were potty trained and came into our homes without any mess or bother? OK, reality check here.
Canine Hip Dysplasia (CHD)
What is Canine Hip Dysplasia?Canine Hip Dysplasia (CHD) is a congenital disease that mainly affects large breed dogs. The word "dysplasia" means improper growth.
Dog Supplies: Whats Needed Versus What Might Be Fun to Have
Buying a new dog is more than simply finding the cutest puppy in the store and buying a bag of dog food. Acquiring a new canine is nearly as important as adopting a child.
Jumbuck Domain Is For Sale - $5,000 For Enquiries eMail Us
© www.Jumbuck.biz - 2012